A well-kept mattress can last 10 years or more but here’s 7 disposal solutions for your old one:
- Our furniture Re-use Schemes – will accept clean mattresses with fire labels ….plus most collect for free
- Retailer Take Back – ask the furniture store or supplier of your new mattress if they offer a trade-in or take back – either free or discounted? For instance IKEA or Dreams offer paid-for collection as part of home deliveries.
- Sell your old mattress on eBay, Gumtree or local Facebook selling pages. Bed frames complete with mattress are sometimes easier to sell.
- Online reuse networks such as Freegle and Freecycle. Beds and mattreses are particularly popular ‘wants’. PLUS the person taking the bed/mattress will collect from your door at a mutually-convenient time.
- Contact your local authority for a bulky waste collection. Cheshire West and Chester Bulky Waste Collection or Cheshire East Bulky Waste Collection
- Check out specilaist collectors such as www.collectyouroldbed.com – sometimes cheaper than a Bulky Waste Collection by your local district or borough council.
- ‘End of life’ mattresses are also accepted at local Recycling and Reuse Centre but please check vehicle restrictions for anything other than a passenger car.
(With thanks to Warwickshire Recycle Newsletter)