Furniture reuse organisations enable people to access affordable furniture
The Furniture Reuse Network estimates
- 4 million families with children cannot afford to replace worn out furniture
- 3 million families cannot afford to replace broken down electrical items such as cookers and washing machines
- 350,000 in-crisis families approach FRN members for support
Members of CFRF tend to be based in areas of financial hardship, making affordable furniture available to local residents. But they all also offer discounts or furniture packages to particular in-need groups (contact the individual projects for details):
- Changing Lives in Cheshire (Winsford and Warrington) – 1/3 off selected items to those on certain benefits (JSA, Income Support, Pension Credit, Income related ESA, Housing Benefit, Council Tax benefit, Working Tax Credits)
- Cheshire Streetwise (Macclesfield and Congleton) – discounted / free items on a case by case basis to individuals and families referred to them by a support agency
- Christian Concern (Crewe and Nantwich) – 40% discount to individuals and families referred to them by a support agency
- Chester Used Furniture Enterprise (Chester) – 10-15% discount to Blacon residents, 50% discount to individuals and families referred to them by a support agency
- Reviive – 10% discount for those in receipt of income related benefits, case by case discount for housing associations and other support organisations with whom Reviive have a contract
- SVP (Ellesmere Port) – discount / free items on a case by case basis to individuals and families referred to them by a support agency
- Tree of Life (Wythenshawe) – case by case discount for referrals, housing associations and other support organisations with whom Tree of Life have an agreement
- Wesley Community Furniture (South Manchester/North Cheshire) – 50% discount to individuals and families referred to them by a support agency
- Wilmslow and District Furniture Recycling – discount / free items on a case by case basis to individuals and families referred to them
Jobs, work readiness and training, supported placements
All members of CFRF have at least one paid position with some having in excess of 20 paid roles.
All members train volunteers and work-placements, giving them valuable skills for future job-seeking.
Several members offer apprenticeship positions
- Changing Lives in Cheshire – warehouse, retail, paint reuse apprentices
- Christian Concern – cycle maintenance apprentice
- Reviive – warehouse apprentices, appliance engineer apprentices
Many members have specific back to work training programmes
- Changing Lives in Cheshire – Making Informed Career Choices (QCF) Entry Level 3 Award (Open Awards), Waste and Recycling (QCF) Level 1 Award (Open Awards)
- Cheshire Streetwise – Skills Cafe: CV building, letter writing, form filling, basic English and maths skill, tutoring in English and Maths
- Tree of Life – Work club, Computer lessons, Free computer and internet access
Some members offer supported placements
- Christian Concern offers placements to adults with learning disabilities to engage and be an integral part of a working environment, ensuring that appropriate individual support is given to achieve this. Through a process of engaging people in work based activities they create many opportunities for individuals to move away from supported placements with the hope of a sustainable independent way of working.
Furniture reuse infrastructure and income helps provide direct community support
Most members are donation points for foodbanks and can provide users with information as to how to access food packages.
Christian Concern and Tree of Life use their logistics expertise and community connections to run local foodbanks.
And that’s not all…
Members link up with a range of poverty alleviating support agencies including Credit Unions and Debt Advice Centres. Visit their individual websites for more information.
If you know of any other way we can help alleviate poverty through furniture reuse, don’t hesitate to get in touch, either with the individual furniture projects or firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.